My Books

My Books
These books may be purchased from Schiffer Publishing, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Walmart, Target and in many other fine stores.

Check out my design on Zazzle!

Saturday, May 8, 2010

A Sneak Peak at One of the Completed Dragonflies-# 40


About 9 months later, my forty dragonflies are finished in terms of my studio work. I am now tracing the bottom outline on paper for each dragonfly. The county will use this tracing as a template for the metal supports.

This dragonfly is the only one I created from blue bottles (obtained from Freecycle) and it took a case of 16 bottles to create this work. After kiln firing and sandblasting, I put the cast dragonfly back in the kiln with white enamel powder sprinkled on the wings and a little cobalt blue enamel on the body. It had to be very slowly fired up to 1330 degrees and held at 1100 for 2 hours for the ramp up and again for the ramp down. It took a full 3 and 1/2 days in the kiln. If you place a large cast piece back into the kiln for enameling, 30 degrees an hour or less should be used or the piece will crack.

When the installation begins, I will post ongoing photos of the progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment