Sunday, May 9, 2010
A Model for the Installation
I realized I had too many castings to adequately visualize the final positions of each one without making a model. I found small felt stickers in the shape of dragonflies at a craft store and dipped them in a mixture of plaster and silica multiple times to create a mini dragonfly. Next, I painted them and sprayed on a protective acrylic spray glaze.
I cut and pieced together a large green styrofoam circle and glued it on a foam board. I then covered 40 wood popsicle sticks with foil. I already had bendable but heavier craft aluminum strips and I cut out 4 inch pieces. I bent the final third of the strip at a right angle and glued it to the bottom of each dragonfly and wrapped the other end around the top of the popsicle stick. This allowed me to adjust the dragonflies upward or downward in terms of their "flight."